MMA Mouthguards are not only necessary, but they are also crucial to protect the mouth, teeth, and tongue of fighters. You don’t want to lose something that you could have prevented in the first place. Wearing protective gear while taking part in this type of combative sports if the priority of any player who wishes to remain in good health and avoid most injuries.
MMA involves more than just punches, you get kicks flying your way and some land on your face with all the force your opponent or sparring partner cam master. The impact can do a lot of damage if you don’t wear your mouthguard. Most players end up losing teeth on the ring. It’s just the price they pay for doing what they like. But it can be prevented to a higher percentage by purchasing the correct mouthguard.
Ike so many other sports protective wear, there are hundreds of different brands of mouthguards to choose from. Sifting through all of them to pinpoint the right one that fits well and offers maximum protection is a nightmare. This is what makes a guide like this a crucial part of every fighter’s life.
The mouthguards listed here are some of the best available. All you have to do is go through them, add a little research, and choose one to buy and get to the ring as fast as possible. If you’re a veteran fighter, you already know what works best for you and what doesn’t. The challenge comes when you are green in the world of MMA fighting and are faced with so many products once.
The correct mouthguard has a comfortable fit that doesn’t take away concentration from what you’re doing. Don’t get a guard that you’ve to keep adjusting. The best ones are made of good quality material. Protective groin wear is non-negotiable if you want to take part in MMA.
Pinpointing the Right Mouthguard
1. What it’s made of
The best mouthguards are made from a material that feels comfortable when you have it in your mouth. They have to be strong enough to protect you but also comfortable enough. The material has to have an aspect of softens too. A mouthguard made of tough material that feels like a hard solid in your mouth can do more harm than good.
Purchase a guard that is made using the best material for maximum protection and comfort too. Be careful with the material not to be too soft that you can easily bite it. It has to be able to withstand even your toughest bite as you take in force from a blow or a kick. Good material will also not cause harm to your mouth like causing cuts and bruises.
2. The Perfect Fit
Everyone has different sizes of mouths. You cannot share someone else and expect it to fit you as it fits them. Even when using the same brand, the fitting is not the same. Get a mouthguard that fits correctly. A good fit will give you peace of mind as you spar or fight rather than concentrating on the fact that it may fall off or it feels too big.
Part of MMA is being completely attentive in the ring otherwise the slightest distraction can give your opponent the advantage over you. That means the right fit helps you remain focused which is crucial.
Brand preferences are important to fighters. It’s all about remaining mentally relaxed as you’re sparring or fighting and part of it is about what you wear. Some fighters don the same brand for their physical wear and protective wear as well. Go for the brand you prefer.
As a beginner, you may have done some research or consulted a friend on which brand is the best. Have a look at what it has to offer in terms of mouthguards and purchase on today. There are numerous great sporting brands available and this too can pose a challenge in choosing which are the best.
4. Previous Customer’s Reviews
After reading through the different guards offered in this guide, you may want to do more research before making up your mind. One of the best ways to know if a product is efficient or not is to read the comments left by customers about it. They have been where you are now and can help you know which works and which is a waste of your time.
Honest customer reviews help you see through all the hype and advertising a certain company may have. They may say their product does one thing, and the customers disagree. This guide has listed the ones with the best reviews and has been awarded top starts too.
Different mouthguards from different manufacturers representing different brands cost differently. There is no price you can put on protective wear so no buying cheap mouthguards that will offer you little to no protection at all. It’s better to invest in a quality guard that may cost more than incur bills treating injuries. Prevention is always better than cure.
See the price range of the ones listed in this Mouthguard guide for MMA and see which one is in the vicinity of what you can afford.
Types of MMA Mouthguards
There are two types of mouthguards recommended for MMA fighters. They are both good but vary as well.
a) Boil & Bite
This is the most affordable of the too. It’s also the most commonly used by many fighters and the best option to start with as a beginner in MMA. The boil and bite are specially manufactured using a kind of material that softens when in contact with hot water. You place it in hot water, let it cool off a little not to scald your mouth, then wear it for maximum protection.
The mouthguard comes in different sizes and shapes and its best to test out a few to determine which one fits best. As a beginner, it may take some time to get the perfect fit. But once you know which one it is, it gets easier. These mouthguards are very affordable and available online or at your local sporting good. The fact that they are affordable means you can test out a few without it denting your pockets.
Boil and Bite mouthguards come in so many different colors and design, you won’t lack one that meets your preference. Learn how to properly heat it and wear it too for better protection on the ring.
b) Custom Made Mouthguards
In combative sports, many professional fighters opt to get a custom made mouthguard. These are made by dentists and are crafted to fit your mouth perfectly while offering you the best protection. Because they are one of a kind, this makes them expensive too. The dentist starts by taking measurements of your mouth then molds for you one that fits like a perfect glove.
It’s the best option and you can go for it if it’s within your means. It’s long-lasting and very comfortable too. It will protect you from injuries while helping you remain relaxed too. It takes some time to get it ready and you may have to wait. These mouthguards are the best because they are designed to allow you to breathe better too as you fight or train.
Top 8 Best Mouthguards For MMA
1. Venom Challenger Mouthguard
The inner frame of this mouthguard is manufactured with top of the line gel for maximum comfort and adjustability too. The design enables you to breathe well as you train without getting winded easily. It comes in 13 different colors so choose the one you prefer and get into the ring today.
The outer frame is made using the highest quality rubber to offer you the best protection and enhance shock absorption too. The guard comes with a protective casing to keep it clean and hygienic at all times. This guard is certified by CE Certification: SATRAM33:20100.
It utilizes the boil and bite design and comes with a guide on how to properly heat and fit it. It lacks a digestive system. You can use it comfortably if you have braces on too. It’s unisex and the size can fit children too.
- Gel inner frame
- Quality outer rubber frame
- Can fit adults and children
- Color variety
- Has a storage casing
- Comes with a guide
- Lacks a digestive system
- Doesn’t fully protect
- Tends to disintegrate
- Nexfit Gel Frame for a better adjustment and comfort
- Advanced design for an optimal breathing during the fight
- High Density Rubber Frame for a better shock management and top protection
- Delivered with its protective case for a better hygiene
- CE Certification/Norm: SATRA M33:2011
2. SISU Mouthguards
The design of this mouthguard is thinner than most available in the market but still offers maximum protection. It has a perforated surface for more comfort and better breathing as you train or spur. It has crumple zones specially designed to absorb the most impact. You can easily talk while you have this mouthguard on.
It comes in 6 colors for you to choose from. There are four sizes available for both children and adults. They are lightweight and won’t be a distraction at all. They are ideal for wearing while taking part in MMA sparring or training. They are easy to clean and maintain. They are compatible with braces. You don’t have to worry about damaging them.
They come with a one-year dental warranty amounting to $35000.
- Cool design
- Can breathe easily
- Can talk easily
- Has warranty
- Various sizes
- Various colors
- Compatible with braces
- Absorb impact
- SISU Max NextGen mouth guards offer premium, warrantied dental protection for players age 11 and up, including adults
- 2.4mm thick, the Max offers the most protection of any SISU guard, but is still 30% thinner than conventional sports mouth guards
- The slim, custom fit makes it easy to talk, breathe and drink without removing the guard, which contributes to better hygiene
- Diffusix technology scientifically distributes impact forces from soccer, football, hockey, lacrosse, basketball, and other contact games
- Compared to the original, NextGen SISU guards feature a wider bite pad, rounded edges for comfort, and improved mold-ability to ensure a perfect fit
3. Nxtrnd Rush Mouth Guard
These mouthguards are ideal for competitions and can be worn by professional fighters. The frame of this guard has dual-density and the outer shell can absorb as much impact as possible. They offer maximum mouth protection while competing or training.
The fit is very snug and comfortable. It snaps into place and keeps intact throughout. It comes with a casing for storing which is very hygienic. It is available in 4 colors. The mouthguard has an undercarriage system that promotes maximum breathability.
It is easy to clean and maintain. It is durable. It is one size fits all from adults to children and is unisex too.
- Snug fit
- Color variety
- For children and adults
- Maximum shock absorption
- Melts easily
- Size complaints
- PROFESSIONAL MOUTHGUARDS – From division 1 players to championship fighters, the Rush mouth guard has made its way into most every top athletes locker for a reason. We have brought innovation, technology, and style into the impact sports space and have re-defined the word “mouthguard”.
- PROTECTIVE – Our dual density frame and high impact outer shell go above industry standards to protect your lips, teeth, and jaw. The black and white rush guard is perfect for football, boxing, wrestling, kickboxing, lacrosse, brazilian jiu-jitsu (bjj), karate, muay thai, taekwondo, judo, flag football along with all other forms of martial arts and contact sports.
- COMFORTABLE – After molding the mouthpieces, the entirely shock resistant body should lightly snap into place around your teeth and gums. This snug fit will allow ease of speech and unpaired comfort.
- ENHANCED AIRFLOW – Having understood that oxygen is a key metric when it comes to high performance, we designed the rush mouthpiece with an under carriage channel system that boasts airflow and aids breathing.
- UNLIMITED DEFECTIVE WARRANTY – The Nxtrnd Rush sports mouth guard comes with an unlimited defective warranty covering both guards as well as the protective case. Contact information included in packaging.
4. Shock Doctor Mouthguard
It is available in 16 different colors so you can’t miss one that you like the most. The inner frame is made using the gel of the highest quality mixed with a silicone mold. This fits well aligning your teeth and offering the best protection.
It is breathable because it has integrated channels that allow maximum airflow. The frame of this guard is designed to absorb as much shock from an impact as possible giving you ample protection in the process.
It utilizes a triple-layered design. It’s easy to heat and fit only requiring hot water. It’s easy to clean too. It can be worn with braces.
- Triple-layered design
- Silicone mixed with gel inner lining
- Ideal for children and adults
- Color variety
- Easy to clean
- Wearable with braces
- Has no lasting flavor
- Comes with instructions
- Problems with sizing for children
- CUSTOM COMFORT & FIT - Gel-fit Liner Technology is easy to fit, our mold forms specifically to your teeth and gums, providing a comfortable fit for extended use, available in a variety of customized colors
- BREATHABLE - Integrated breathing channels make it easy to breathe while wearing the guard and maximize your performance
- PROFESSIONAL DENTAL PROTECTION - Heavy duty Exoskeletal Shock Frame provides full mouth protection during the hardest impacts, protects cheek and tongue, teeth grinding, and secures teeth in place
- DURABLE - Crafted using heavy duty material, combined in our Triple Layer Design for added protection and durability
- RECOMMENDED SPORTS - Suitable for all contact sports where a mouth guard is required or recommended including football, wrestling, boxing, and more! Includes a detachable helmet strap for football
5. OPRO Power-Fit Mouthguard
This guard comes in two sizes for children and youth. It has anatomical fins that have been patented and offer maximum breathability. The outer shell is dual-layered and the inner gel is lined using gel for the best shock absorption after impact. It is long-lasting and lightweight too.
It has a comfortable fit and easily grips teeth after heating then wearing it. This means it stays intact throughout and you don’t have to worry about it coming loose. It is ideal to wear while training and competing too. It’s easy to clean and comes with a hygienic carrying case.
It comes in 6 different colors. It doesn’t have a strap attached to it. It lacks breathing holes but doesn’t limit breathing.
- Various sizes
- Various colors
- Worn by professionals
- Easy to clean
- Comfortable fit
- Lacks a strap
- Ultimate Protection: The dual layer outer shell absorbs high impact blows and spreads the force over a larger area, shielding your teeth and gums from injury.
- Unrivaled Custom Fit: The fitting fins break down in the fitting process to grip your teeth in all the right places so you can breathe, speak, and focus on the game.
- Easy to fit: The fitting process takes less than 3 minutes. Adult sizes suitable for ages 10+, Junior sizes suitable for ages up to 10, these gum shields are not compatible with braces.
- Perfect for All Athletes: Suitable for all ball, stick, and combat sports - including Rugby, Hockey, MMA, and Boxing. Every Power-Fit Mouth Guard comes with an extended 18 Month $20,000 Dental Warranty for peace of mind.
- Trusted by Professionals: Our passion for protection is why we are the official mouthguard of the UFC, Pop Warner and AYF, New Zealand Rugby, England Hockey, USA Wrestling, and many other world renowned sports teams.
6. UROKAZ Mouthguard for MMA, Muay Thai
This is a high impact shock absorption mouthguard ideal for combat sports including MMA and Muay Thai. It is ideal for both children and adults. It comes in 5 different colors for you to choose from.
The material it’s made of is free from paraben, BPA, and phthalates which are very harmful. It is reusable and easy to clean too. the packaging contains three mouthguards for the price offered. They are comfortable and easy to follow the instructions for molding and fitting.
- Three in one pack
- Size for kids and adults
- Various colors
- Free from harmful chemicals
- Good fitting
- Easy to clean
- Easy to mold
- Thinner than others
- Whether you are kids, youth, men, boys, girls or adult if you play any sports, and want to protect your teeth from damage, our clear bite guards are right for you.
- Made with non flavored BPA free and Phthalates free high quality premium grade material, UROKAZ gaurds are easy to clean and can be reused. The package comes with a piece of storage case.
- Comfortable to use - Made of a customizable and trimmable material that fits to accommodate any mouth size. Includes easy to follow instructions inside the package.
- Heavy duty protection gaurd - Perfect for all sports activities such as Boxing, MMA, Basketball, Lacrosse, Muay Thai, Hockey, Weight Lifting, Wrestling, Jitsu, and Jiu Jitsu
- Our mouthgaurd is not only for battle control sports in the field but great with people who wear braces. It is trimmable and customisable to fit any sized mouth
7. Oral Mart Sports Youth Mouth Guard
It has a gel inner that is dual-layered for the best protection while fitting perfectly. The outer layer is well-constructed to absorb full-force impact. It is very easy to mold and comes with a set of instructions on how to mold it.
It is durable and easy to clean too. It is mostly ideal for children under the age of 10. It comes in 11 different colors including one with the American flag. It comes with a step by step guide on how to mold and fit it properly. It is well ventilated allowing airflow for breathing purposes.
It is free from harmful chemicals including BPA, paraben, and phthalates. It is made using the best quality of materials available. It is reusable.
- Easy to mold
- Good fitting
- Ideal for children
- Free of harmful chemicals
- Easy to clean
- Needs to boil twice
- Why Oral Mart Youth Mouth Guard for Kids – Buy from a trusted brand in the U.S. with peace of mind. Note: If you are also looking for adult (11+) mouth guards, the links to purchase are on the comparison chart on this page. (Choices of Adult Size: 8 Best Colors, USA Flag, Vampire Fangs, Strapped)
- SUPERIOR QUALITY (10 Best Colors & USA Flag) - Our dual-layer sports mouth guards give you the best customized fit (Inner Gel Layer) and the most superior impact resistance (Outer Impact layer). Not all dual-layer mouth guards are the same and you may not be able to tell the difference by appearance until you try it. More than that, we provide you 10 most popular colors for you to choose from. Each Oral Mart sports mouth guard comes with a FREE vented case for your convenience.
- ULTIMATE CUSTOMER SERVICE - Some parents are new to molding a sports mouth guards for their kids. That's why customer service is extremely important. We have helped out many parents for their fitting questions. You can find the step-by-step instruction and video (You don't want to miss it) for boiling mouth guard properly on this page and also on the back of the package. Follow the instruction for the best fitting experience. 100% customer satisfaction is our ultimate goal and we mean it.
- PASS ALL SAFETY TESTS - Your safety is our ultimate goal. BPA Free! Latex Free! Phthalate Free! We passed all safety tests.100% medical-grade materials. 5-step molding guide is super easy to follow and the our sports mouth guards give you maximum protection for flag football, karate, lacrosse, hockey, football, field hockey, rugby, roller derby, martial arts, MMA, boxing, sparring, BJJ, wrestling and other contact sports.
- PEACE OF MIND – Easy to mold, comfortable to wear, and durable to last. We have many satisfied customers and parents. Now there are more choices from Oral Mart: CUSHION(Youth), CUSHION(Adult), CUSHION(Strapped), CHAMPION(Adult for now), CHAMPION PLUS(+). Buy with confidence from a trusted brand in America – Oral Mart
8. Champs Breathable Mouthguard
It is easy to mold only requiring boiling then fitting for better protection while training. It comes with a cool casing for storing it. It is specially constructed for combat sports. This makes it the ideal mouthguard for MMA.
The outer layer is rigid enough to absorb shock from the highest impact protecting your mouth. The inner layer is made using a soft gel that is comfortable to bite into. It has three air holes that guarantee good airflow making it very breathable.
The guard comes in 4 different colors and is unisex. It is very comfortable and snug to wear. It’s easy to clean too.
- Good pricing
- Color variety
- Easy to mold
- Easy to clean
- Cool carrier case
- Requires more colors
- EASY BOIL AND BITE MOUTHGUARD - Perfect fit, every time. Boil it, bite, you're ready for sports
- DESIGNED FOR COMBAT SPORTS - Mouthpiece for jiu jitsu, muay thai, boxing, mma. Designed for combat sports
- ARMORED MOUTHGUARD FOR SPORTS - High-impact, rigid outer-layer to take even the hardest of blows
- MOUTHGUARD WITH THE BEST BITE - Soft-gel inner layer to give a comfortable extra cushion
- BEST BREATHABLE MOUTHGUARD - 3 central air holes allow for max oxygen flow for A+ performance
If you love your teeth, lips, and tongue, better get a mouthguard if you wish to take part in MMA. The high impact kicks and blows will do damage when they come into contact with your mouth. Getting the best protective gear is the first thing you should do before venturing into combat sports.
The right guard fits well and is comfortable too. It’s easy to mold and clean. It’s reusable too. you should not be distracted in any way while facing an opponent therefore finding the correct mouthguard is very important. For kids, a good mouthguard is compatible with braces too.