Boxing is a combat sport meaning opponents are always garnering to get a punch to the other person. It‘s very easy to get serious injuries on the ring and even get your teeth knocked out. This is why boxing emphasizes on wearing the right protective gear. While facing an opponent, it’s better to have a mouth guard on than to be sorry when nursing a broken or missing tooth.
Your opponent on the ring will not hesitate to throw the deadliest punch they can to get you off balance. It’s best to be ready by wearing the correct protective gear whenever you step into the ring. This is especially true if you value your smile. Wearing a mouth guard is a must whenever you are a professional boxer or enjoy boxing for fitness purposes.
A boxing mouth guard not only protects you from the punches of your opponent but also protects your opponent too. They may throw a punch that lands on your mouth resulting in a nasty bite.
A food mouth guard is manufactured using synthetic material and fits comfortably into your mouth offering ample protection while battling on the ring. It efficiently protects your teeth, gums, and tongue. A forceful and powerful punch can result in you biting off a chunk of your tongue while boxing. That is reason enough to invest in good quality mouthguard don’t you think?
Types of Mouth Guards
Mouthguards come in three distinct types. These include:
a) Custom-fitted Mouth Guards
These special types of mouthguards are molded by dentists to fit your exact dental profile. A dentist takes an impression of your dental formula and then molds a mouth guard fitting the exact dimensions of the impression. This type of mouthguard is more expensive but is better than the other types combined. It fits perfectly and lasts longer too. Invest in this mouth guard if you intend to play professional boxing or be involved in boxing for a long time.
b) Boil and Bite Mouth Guards
This mouth guard is molded using thermoplastic material. You have to place it in hot water for it to soften then put it on your mouth. You then use your fingers and tongue to shape it into position. It is commonly found in most stores that stock sporting goods.
c) Stock Mouth Protectors
These protectors once made by the manufacturers cannot be adjusted in any way. You have to wear them as they are. Finding the right fit can be tricky as many tend to be too big which causes a lot of discomfort. They provide little protection when facing an opponent and are not recommended by many dentists.
Factors to Consider When Purchasing a Mouth Guard
1. The Type of Mouth Guard
As you can see above, there are three types of mouthguards the best being the custom-fitted protector. Before making a purchase, learn more about the type of mouthguard you want to buy and the material it’s made from. It’s best to choose between the custom-fitted protector and the Boil & Bite Guard.
Getting a custom-fitted mouthguard is going to cost you some money. It’s expensive due to the time and material used by dentists to mold a perfect fitting guard for you. You must take the cost into consideration before deciding on which type of guard to go for. Stock mouth guards are inexpensive and can be easily bought at the local sporting goods store. The same inexpensive pricing applies to boil and bite guards too.
3. Comfort vs. Protection
What matters most? Comfort or Protection? This is an important factor to keep in mind because the truth is you need both. This is what makes the custom-fitted guard ideal because it gives you protection and comfort too. But, in case you have to choose one, protection wins any day. Choose a guard that will protect you fully from the impact of constant punches even if it doesn’t fit comfortably.
4. Brand Manufacturer
Different sporting goods manufacturers have their type of mouthguard available for purchase. You may have a theme going of purchasing goods from one brand and should seek out mouth guards manufactured by the same company as your other protective gear.
5. Customer Reviews
Probably one of the biggest advantages of purchasing anything online is you get to read the reviews of other customers who’ve purchased the same. This information helps you make a better choice and saves you time sifting through different products. You just look at the number of purchases made and the stars awarded before proceeding to the reviews section. A product with 1 or 2 stars or has disabled the review section is most likely a poor quality product.
Cleaning and Maintaining Mouth Guards
Anything you put into your mouth should be clean, the same applies to the mouth guard. You have to clean it regularly and maintain it too.
- Always wear your mouthguard when you’ve thoroughly brushed and flossed your teeth.
- Keep your mouthguard in a protective container. Avoid mixing it with dirty used wear.
- Always wash your mouthguard with cool water and soap after using it.
- Avoid chewing on your mouthguard as that can easily tamper with its shape.
- After cleaning your mouthguard with soap and cool water, soak it in mouth wash before storing it in a clean container.
- Ensure the container you use for storing is clean and well ventilated always, but keep it away from dusty areas.
- Never wear another person’s mouth guard or share yours.
- For a custom-fitted mouthguard, let your dentist make changes to the fitting. Don’t attempt to do it yourself.
- Keep your mouthguard away from direct sunlight.
Top 7 Best Boxing Mouth Guards
1. OPRO Power-fit Mouthguard
This a product manufactured by the OPRO Company. It comes in two sizes for kids and adults. It comes in a wide array of colors to suit your desire. The outer shell has a dual-layer for maximum protection. It’s able to absorb much of the shock from constant blows and spread it out reducing its overall impact to your mouth.
It has fitting fins that adjust to fit perfectly allowing you to be comfortable and breathe better too. It does not have breathing holes because it doesn’t move at all once perfectly fitted. It comes with a set of directions on how to properly wear it for maximum protection.
- Very comfortable
- Unique fitting fins
- Dual outer layer
- Size variety
- Color assortment
- Comes with manual
- New technology, not a good fit
- Expensive compared to others
- Ultimate Protection: The dual layer outer shell absorbs high impact blows and spreads the force over a larger area, shielding your teeth and gums from injury.
- Unrivaled Custom Fit: The fitting fins break down in the fitting process to grip your teeth in all the right places so you can breathe, speak, and focus on the game. Includes a case.
- Easy to fit: The fitting process takes less than 3 minutes. Adult sizes suitable for ages 10+, Youth sizes suitable for ages up to 10, these gum shields are not compatible with braces.
- Perfect for All Athletes: Suitable for all ball, stick, and combat sports - including Rugby, Hockey, MMA, and Boxing. Every Power-Fit Mouth Guard comes with an extended 18 Month $20,000 Dental Warranty for peace of mind.
- Trusted by Professionals: Our passion for protection is why we are the official mouthguard of the UFC, Pop Warner and AYF, New Zealand Rugby, England Hockey, USA Wrestling, and many other world renowned sports teams.
2. Venum Challenger Mouthguard
The frame of this mouthguard is enhanced with a gel layer making it more comfortable and can be easily adjusted for a perfect fit. It comes in 13 different colors to choose from. It has a unique design that allows you to easily breathe while wearing it on the ring.
The outer frame is made from quality rubber for better protection and shock abruption from the impact of a punch. This guard comes with a protective case which is a plus for hygiene. It is a certified brand CE Certification/Norm: SATRA M33:2011.
- Well priced
- Various colors
- Inner gel layer
- Outer rubber shell
- Certified brand
- Has a holding case
- Works with braces
- Wears with continuous use
- Not easy to talk with
- Nexfit Gel Frame for a better adjustment and comfort
- Advanced design for an optimal breathing during the fight
- High Density Rubber Frame for a better shock management and top protection
- Delivered with its protective case for a better hygiene
- CE Certification/Norm: SATRA M33:2011
3. Nxtrnd Rush Mouthguard
The outer frame of this mouth guards is the dual-density which enables it to offer maximum protection by ample shock absorption. It protects your lips, jaw, and teeth. It comes in four color assortments for you to choose from. You only have to mold the mouthguard and it will take its position around your teeth without any fuss. The inner layer is made using a quality plastic polymer making adding to its durability.
It has an undercarriage system to allow ample airflow to better breathing. You have to breathe well to perform on the ring. The guard comes with a protective casing for better hygiene and storage. The company offers a defective warranty on the guard and the casing that is unlimited. This guard can fit pre-teens and teens too.
- Color variety
- Can fit both youth and adults
- The outer frame is dual density
- The inner frame is a quality plastic polymer
- Has a storage casing
- Comes with unlimited defective warranty
- Can be a small fit for some
- ULTRA DURABLE – From division 1 running backs to middleweight fighters, the Rush mouth guard has proved over time that it can withstand and absorb even the most brutal of impacts. This mouthguard comes equipped with our innovative dual density frame technology as well as our enhanced airflow system. The result is an ultra-strong mid-sized mouthpiece that is made for the advanced athletes who demands professional protection.
- PROTECTIVE – Our dual density frame and high impact outer shell go above industry standards to protect your lips, teeth, and jaw. The black and white rush guard is perfect for football, boxing, wrestling, kickboxing, lacrosse, brazilian jiu-jitsu (bjj), karate, muay thai, taekwondo, judo, flag football along with all other forms of martial arts and contact sports.
- COMFORTABLE – After molding the mouthpieces, the entirely shock resistant body should lightly snap into place around your teeth and gums. This snug fit will allow ease of speech and unpaired comfort.
- BREATHABLE – Having understood that oxygen is a key metric when it comes to high performance, we designed the rush mouthpiece with an under carriage channel system that boasts airflow and aids breathing.
- UNLIMITED DEFECTIVE WARRANTY – The Nxtrnd Rush sports mouth guard comes with an unlimited defective warranty covering both guards as well as the protective case. Contact information included in packaging.
4. Shock Doctor Pro Mouth Guard
This is a product of the Shock Doctor Company and comes in two sizes, one for youth and one for adults. It is made with contact sport in mind. It is a boil and bite type of guard. You put it into hot water then bite it to fit perfectly on your dental formula. It has a bumper designed to absorb shock from blows on the ring.
The inner frame has multiple layers for internal shock absorption for maximum protection. It comes in only one color. It comes with a user manual to guide you only how best to use it.
- Has a size variety
- Boil and bite design
- Bumper design for shock absorption
- Multiple inner layers
- Has a user manual
- Small youth fit
- SPORTS: Our sports mouth guard is suitable for all contact sports where a mouth guard is required or recommended like: football, basketball, lacrosse, hockey, MMA, boxing, jiu jitsu and much more
- COMFORT & FIT: Boil & bite fit provides a comfortable fit and can be reformed as needed
- PROTECTION: Shock absorbing front bumper protects against impact
- DENTAL GUARANTEE: $10,000 Dental Warranty for peace of mind
- BRACES COMPATIBLE: Works with braces to protect your orthodontic investment
5. SYOSIN Mouth Guard
It is made using EVA materials that have been approved by the FDA. It comes in a set of three mouth guards and three carrying cases. It comes in only three colors of blue, clear, and black. It has two sizes for youth and for adults. It comes with a user guide for better molding results.
It is a boil and bites design. Soak it in hot water for 15 seconds until its nice and soft before using it. It’s not ideal to use with braces. It is made using durable quality material making it a good mouthguard.
- Color assortment
- Size options
- Quality materials
- Comes in a set of three
- Each has own casing
- Comes with a user guide
- Boil and bite design
- Some packages lacking user guide
- 🏈Unbeatable Protection: This shock absorbing mouthguard gives you the maximum protection for your teeth, lips, jaw and gums. Easily mold to your teeth and fits securely in the mouth so you can talk and breathe easily for optimal athletic performance.
- 🏀Safe Material: Made of approved EVA materials. BPA, Latex, and PVC FREE. Each mouthguard comes with an antiseptic case so you can safely and cleanly protect your mouthguard from bacteria, filth, and damage.
- 🎾Multi-Color & Easy Carry: Each set comes with 3 mouthguards and 3 carrying cases, color in black, blue, and clear. Providing you with optimal protection for sports like football, basketball, boxing, MMA, rugby, karate, judo, kickboxing, hockey, lacrosse, etc.
- ⚽Comfortable & Easy Use: SYOSIN mouth guard suitable for ages 10+ children and adult. Easily molded to comfortably fit any mouth size, mouth shape and teeth alignment, providing a comfortable fit for extended use.
- 🥊Please follow the molding instruction for the best fitting experience. SYOSIN supply quality product to our customers. If you have any question or need any help, please feel free to contact us. We will offer proper solution for you at once. Click ‘Add to Cart’ now to surprise yourself and your family!
6. Oral Mart Sports Youth Mouth Guard for Kids
This mouthguard comes in 11 color options including one that resembles the American flag. It is ideal for children aged 10 years and below. It has a dual-layer for maximum shock absorption. The inner layer is well designed using gel to give you a perfect fit. The outer layer is constructed for ample impact control.
It is a boil and bite type of mouthguard and is easy to mold. It comes with a user manual and instruction video to help parents correctly mold it for their children. The guard if free from latex, BPA, and Phthalate making it safe for children. It is not ideal to use with braces.
- Has color variety
- Ideal for children
- Free from latex, BPA, and Phthalate.
- Made using safe materials
- Easy to mold
- Has both manual guide and instruction video
- Has adult sizes
- Can’t be worn with braces
- Large adult sizes
- Why Oral Mart Youth Mouth Guard for Kids – Buy from a trusted brand in the U.S. with peace of mind. Note: If you are also looking for adult (11+) mouth guards, the links to purchase are on the comparison chart on this page. (Choices of Adult Size: 8 Best Colors, USA Flag, Vampire Fangs, Strapped)
- SUPERIOR QUALITY (12 Best Colors & USA Flag & Vampire Fangs) - Our dual-layer sports mouth guards give you the best customized fit (Inner Gel Layer) and the most superior impact resistance (Outer Impact layer). Not all dual-layer mouth guards are the same and you may not be able to tell the difference by appearance until you try it. More than that, we provide you 10 most popular colors for you to choose from. Each Oral Mart sports mouth guard comes with a FREE vented case for your convenience.
- ULTIMATE CUSTOMER SERVICE - Some parents are new to molding a sports mouth guards for their kids. That's why customer service is extremely important. We have helped out many parents for their fitting questions. You can find the step-by-step instruction and video (You don't want to miss it) for boiling mouth guard properly on this page and also on the back of the package. Follow the instruction for the best fitting experience. 100% customer satisfaction is our ultimate goal and we mean it.
- PASS ALL SAFETY TESTS - Your safety is our ultimate goal. BPA Free! Latex Free! Phthalate Free! We passed all safety tests.100% medical-grade materials. 5-step molding guide is super easy to follow and the our sports mouth guards give you maximum protection for flag football, karate, lacrosse, hockey, football, field hockey, rugby, roller derby, martial arts, MMA, boxing, sparring, BJJ, wrestling and other contact sports.
- PEACE OF MIND – Easy to mold, comfortable to wear, and durable to last. We have many satisfied customers and parents. Now there are more choices from Oral Mart: CUSHION(Youth), CUSHION(Adult), CUSHION(Strapped), CHAMPION(Adult for now), CHAMPION PLUS(+). Buy with confidence from a trusted brand in America – Oral Mart
7. Shock Doctor Max Airflow Mouth Guard
Shock Doctor Max Airflow Mouth Guard is a product of the Shock Doctor Company. It comes in over 8 color options. It is made using safe materials that meet both national and state regulations. It is free of Latex, Phthalate, and BPA. It works well with braces.
It has a unique design that allows maximum airflow making it breathable. It is made using quality grade polymer plastic that makes it more comfortable and easy to mold to a perfect fit. This guard is best for adults only.
- Color variety
- Increases breathability
- Free from Latex, Phthalate, and BPA
- Meets set standards
- Made from quality material
- Can be used with braces
- Ideal for adults use only
- PROTECTION – Meets national and state regulation. Reinforced outer frame for increased protection, high-impact tech with large breathing channel. LATEX FREE, BPA FREE, Phthalate Free. Works with braces!
- COMFORT - The updated design and platform relax the jaw and prevent teeth from blocking the breathing channel, adding even more flow capacity. Our flexible, proprietary Shock Doctor polymers and integral bite pads ensure max comfort and easy, no-mold fit
- BREATHABILITY - The Max Airflow is the Oxygen King of all the lipguards. Take a deep breath of 10% more flow capacity (Greatest of all lip guards) via our Airflow breathing channel. No more "winded" in the end zone.
- STYLE – Impose your style on the field. Choose from our assortment of lip guard graphics, chrome and colors. Perfect for kids, adults, teenagers, youth. For football, hockey, lacrosse and more sports
- SHOCK DOCTOR WARRANTY – There is a reason why Shock Doctor is the world leader in mouthguards, and that’s because we continuously search for the best materials, technology and innovation in the field. We offer a $10,000 dental / teeth warranty!
Venturing into boxing means opening yourself up to constant blows every time you step on the ring meaning you must wear protective gear. Save yourself from expensive dental work by investing in a good mouth guard for boxing. Prevention is better than cure. There are great brands listed in this guide to help you make the best purchase.