Stepping into the ring without protective wear especially headgear is asking for trouble. Its doubtful legitimate competitions will let you in at all. MMA and boxing being combat sport means beating each other up quite literally. For MMA it’s not only the fists but kicks too. Imagine your head meeting the end of a punch or a kick at full force. The damage will be severe, to say the least.
Getting the right headgear before sparring or competing can even mean life and death. There have been instances of fighters dying on the ring. These sports are not for the faint-hearted and not for the ill-prepared too. Get yourself the right protective headgear for Boxing and MMA before you even think of getting started in the world of combative sport.
Injuries are imminent on the ring even with protective wear but it’s better to be safe than sorry. Getting stuck on the head is part of this world and knowing how sensitive the head can be, you must protect it at all costs. Boxers and MMA fighters retire early due to concussions that cause other complications with their health and can even lead to brain damage. Wearing protective headgear can help keep injuries minimal and not too severe when they occur.
As a beginner or a professional who’s been in this world for years, it can be tough to choose the right headgear. Let this guide help you sift through the numerous brands available.
How to Choose the Right Headgear
1. Size of the Head
Different people have different head sizes and there is no headgear that can fit all. You must know what size you wear to purchase the correct one. This is challenging when making a purchase online that’s why you need to know what size you wear. The right headgear is one that fits you well and is most comfortable. You don’t want to be focusing on how tight the one you have on is. This loss of focus can cost you.
The right protective headgear is not hard to locate but it may take some time. This is especially true if your size is bigger than what is readily available. Size of head is also considered because some pre-teens and teens who are involved in MMA and boxing too. They wear smaller sizes than what is made for the average man or woman.
The right headgear has to not only fit you well but feel snug too. You don’t want an ill-fitting one that keeps shifting as you spur or defend yourself in combat. A proper fitting headgear is comfortable and you can adjust is properly as needed.
2. Adjustable Chin Strap
You need a headgear with an adjustable and easy to remove the strap. The strap acts as a guard to help it not come off as your busy sparring or competing. You have to secure the strap very firmly to hold the headgear in place. The strap has to be tight enough. A loose strap can cause the headgear to turn or fly off with the impact of a kick or punch leaving you exposed.
Take your time to study the different straps fitted on different headgears. You might even opt to purchase two or three different types. Try them out and decide which one works best for you.
3. Well Ventilated
Boxing and MMA are the definitions of sweat. You’ll sweat like there is no tomorrow and be so hot too. You need a headgear that is well ventilated to prevent you from getting heatstroke. You need the proper circulation of air which can only be guaranteed by a properly ventilated headgear. The one characteristic to search for in all the headgears you come across is breathability.
Good airflow means you’ll remain nice and cool throughout the sparring session or fight. Being too hot and sweating causes discomfort that leads to loss of focus.
4. Quality of the Material
There are hundreds of options available for you to choose a headgear from. That is the real definition of confusion. You have to find a way to sift through them and identify the best. One way is by eliminating those with poor material quality. Good material is durable and that means once you buy the headgear, it may be sometime before you go buying another.
There are companies renowned for making the best quality sports protective gear. Research more on them and identify the headgears they make. They even have guides for these specific products too.
5. Customer Reviews
One way of sifting through the huge numbers of headgear available especially in online stores is to go straight to customer reviews. There is always honest feedback left by previous customers. Whether the purchase they made was the best or the worst will help you make an informed decision at the end of the day.
5. The Price
Quality headgears mean digging deeper into your pockets. You can’t put a price on proper protection though. You may end up incurring more in terms of hospital bills due to cheap protective gear. Still consider what price range you’re aiming at and find the best that you can fit in. The best quality in the market is mostly pricey but they will provide you with much-needed protection.
Is a Headgear Necessary?
The simple answer is YES! It is as important as the air you breathe. Imagine the blows you’ve seen boxers and MMA fighters throw. Then imagine that force making an impact with your unprotected head over and over again. Every time you step into the ring, the cycle continues. You’ll end up with a concussion, a damaged brain, or even death.
This is why there are strict rules in combat sports about the protective gear needed to take part in the competition. The same rules should apply even if you’re not a pro. Even training for fitness doesn’t exclude you from constant beatings. No matter how good you are, you’ll still get hit more times than two.
Gloves in boxing are meant to protect the hands but can cause serious damage when they make contact with your unprotected head or face. Protecting your face is better than treating a beaten swollen one.
Are Headgears a Necessity in Sparring?
No. This is especially true for men. Constantly wearing headgear even when sparring has proven to cause more harm than good for fighters. Headgears are mean to prevent injury by protecting the head and face. But research has proven that constantly wearing them can lead to brain trauma. This has led to amateur boxers eliminating them from their matches. When you don’t have headgear on, you’re more likely to take caution not to get hit or to hit your opponent forcefully. The same cannot be said when wearing them.
The Importance of Wearing Headgear
1. Protecting your Face
In MMA and boxing, your face is fair game. Chances are you’ll get cuts and bruises as you spur or compete. This is why you normally see fighters leaving the ring with swollen and bruised faces. Headgears are important because they prevent serious damage to the face. Being hit over and over can cause severe and irreparable damage.
Being bruised is the tip of the iceberg for you may end up with broken facial bones due to the force of each kick and punch. Many fighters suffer from broken noses and jaws which can take time to recover. This is precious time that can be spent competing or training.
2. Prevents Injury from Butting Heads
Ever been play fighting with a friend then you both head-butted each other by accident? Imagine the pain you felt then think of how it would feel on a ring where kicking and punching each other is the norm. MMA involves grappling which can easily lead to head-butting. These head-butts can cause serious injuries to the skull and brain too.
3. Protection when you Hit the Floor
Once more because MMA involves grappling, you may hit the floor with such force and end up hitting your head. This means serious damage when it happens over and over again. The padding on headgears will absorb the impact and protect your head as you hit the ground.
In boxing, chances are even once you’ll get knocked out. When you do, you lose all consciousness and fall to the floor of the ring. This leaves your head vulnerable to hit the floor at such a force that it can cause injury and even damage too. Hence why having a good quality headgear on is very important.
4. Preventive Wear
It’s said prevention is better than cure. The same can apply here. Chances are the months and weeks leading to a big competition that will involve intense training some of which involve a sparring partner. You don’t want to get injured and risk not participating in the competition. Wearing a headgear will keep you safe from severe injuries that can hold you back. The only way to advance in boxing and MMA is to fight in as many competitions as possible.
Top 9 Best MMA and Boxing Headgears
1. Elite Sport Boxing MMA Sparring Headgear
This headgear is made for ample protection while on the ring competing or sparring. It has triple density foam for better head and cheek protection as you face your opponent. This foam is ideal for better absorption of shock from every kick and blows coming your way. The cheek protection help protect your jaw as well.
The guard is well crafted to not blur your vision while offering maximum protection too. It has a chin strap to secure it properly. The headgear must stay in act to not cause distraction or leave you exposed. It has a head cap to protect your head too.
The protective wear is supper light not adding any excess weight which can slow you down. You need to be very fast to react in the ring. It comes in black with nine different colors for the logo.
- Foam for shock absorption
- Has a secure chin strap
- Comes in a variety of logo colors
- Can be used in boxing and MMA
- Has good cheek protectors
- Comfortable fit
- Good pricing
- Size can be small for some
- Complaints of tilted logo
- SECURE FITTING – Pre-curved technology of our boxing headgear for men gives natural fitting for your head. Adjustable closure these boxing head guards gives secure and comfortable fit regardless size & shape of your head, this one size fits all.
- INCREASE YOUR SPEED – With our ultra-lightweight MMA headgear your speed and head movements become fast and precise. Comfortable open-top and mouth design of our sparring headgear helps in better sweat management and breathing keeping you relaxed.
- ULTIMATE SHOCK ABSORPTION – Our head gear for boxers come with triple density cheek & head protection foam for ultimate shock absorption. Cheek protectors provide optimal safety and enhance your visibility by not covering the vision.
- VERSATILITY – Elite Sports offers versatile kickboxing headgear that is perfect for boxing, kickboxing, MMA, & Muay Thai. Our boxing helmet has chin strap, head cap, and head height, three personalized adjustment options proper stability and protection.
- CLEAR FIELD OF VISION – This headgear kickboxing offers clear 180-degree view so you can see opponent clearly and give your best and stay focused rather than getting distracted and fighting with the Muay Thai headgear.
2. RDX Headguard for Boxing MMA Training
The outer shell of this Headguard is made using quality and durable Maya Hide leather. This is a good material because it can endure continuous beatings without wearing out easily. The inner layer of the guard has foam mixed with a gel lining that offers maximum shock absorption from the force of punches and kicks. The facial area is protected by a facial bar reinforced with steel to guard your face.
The top area of the headgear is adjustable for better fitting and adjustments too. It even has a lace lock for these straps to secure it better. The top area has a lock system that is unique to this gear. The sighting area is free from any obstruction and is ergonomic too. The ear area is well protected too. It is open at the bottom and top making it breathable.
- Made of durable leather
- Gel-infused foam
- Face area has a steel bar
- Ear protection
- Unique adjustable lock system at the top
- Obstruction free
- Well priced
- Tends to be bulky
- Issue with fitting
- 【Maya Hide Leather Construction】 RDX Head guard is exclusively manufactured with sturdy Maya hide leather for solidity and superior performance. The compact material fights wear and tear. The high quality material has the tendency to sustain nasty beatings, be it in the ring or sparring sessions.
- 【Shell-Shock Gel Padding】 Our Head protector is constructed with compact shell shock gel padding for impact interrupting performance. It guards your head by delivering robust shock absorption. Highly thick shell shock padding promises the absolute volume of force to be dispensed through improved support.
- 【G-Core Technology for Zero Impact Feel】 This Head Guard is enormously solid and shock absorbent G-core technology delivers eventual impact resistance. The shock resistance tech makes it almost invincible, allowing you to dish out some major force with full conviction.
- 【Face Bar for Pro Level Protection】 Our Face protector ensure a high quality protection with face bar that ensures you stay secure against nasty cuts and blows to your face. The protective bar battles high impact strikes. It further confirms your vision is not disturbed,
- 【R-Lock Head Guard Locking System】 R-lock locking system promises a protected and adjustable fit reducing chances of head protector of slipping off during Boxing, MMA, Muay Thai, BJJ, Kickboxing, Karate and more. Unique locking system provides steady closure while stabilizing it solidly and allowing the optimum amount of head flexion without restricting any head motion.
3. Hayabusa T3 MMA and Boxing Headgear
Properly constructed to remain intact for all the time you train or compete. It’s open at the top for better breathability. It’s adjustable and very light adding no excess weight which can be distracting.
It’s made using top quality synthetic leather that is durable and tear-resistant. It has a one of a kind T closure system to secure it in place and adjust its fitting too. It has mesh earholes for ample ear protection while allowing airflow too. It’s important to remain cool throughout.
- Open at the top for breathability
- Mesh protective earholes
- T closure system
- Durable material
- Tight fit for some
- T-Cross closure prevents unwanted shifting and ensures a customized fit making this piece of fighting gear a must add to your boxing equipment collection.
- Crush Zone core for ultimate shock absorption and force dispersion making this the perfect addition to your boxing equipment lineup.
- The attention to detail and craftsmanship ensures a headgear as durable and resilient as the MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, and Boxing athletes who use it.
4. RDX Boxing Headguard for Kids
The outer cover is made of top-grade Maya Hide leather that is durable. The inner padding is dense foam for better protection and absorption of impact too. The inner lining of the guard is non-slip. It is worn from the rear which is ideal especially for kids. It makes it less of a hassle to wear.
It has straps and a hook for securing it in place and also adjusting the fit. It comes in two colors of red and blue. It has a forehead guard that protects the face. It’s open at the top making it breathable. The earholes are open too to allow airflow but have a mesh lining and a strap for protection.
- Adjustable straps and hook
- Easy to wear and take off
- Forehead guard
- Made using quality leather
- Color variety
- Good pricing
- Smaller sizes. Order up
- No size for teens
- RDX offers Maya Hide Leather Boxing MMA Head Guard contour fit (CE Certified Approved)
- Inner liner is made with soft a Non-slip material which wicks sweat
- Combination of soft and multi-layered foam padding
- An easy access rear entry system is used making usage comfortable
- Fully adjustable hook-and-loop straps on top and behind
5. MaxxMMA Headgear
This headgear has an outer shell made from durable and good quality leather. This makes it long-lasting and resistant to tearing. It’s easy to clean and is lightweight too. This means it won’t weigh you down as you train and it also stores easily. The inner layer is made using dense foam to handle impact from kicks and blows well.
It has cheek protections that also protect the jawline. It’s open at the top and earholes too for better airflow leaving you cool as you spar or compete. It comes in two sizes of X and XL. It’s ideal for people with a larger head that won’t fit the normal mediums.
- Comes in large sizes for bigger heads
- Durable leather exterior
- Interior padded foam
- Cheek protection
- Top and ear open for breathability
- Doesn’t block visibility
- Won’t fit small or medium-sized heads
- Approximate Dimensions: 9.25” x 9.75”
- Great Visibility
- Thick, shock-reducing closed-cell foam
- Multi-layered and shock absorbing inner foams over forehead, cheeks, chin, ears and back of head for full 360 degree coverage
- Size L/XL
6. ARD Leather Art MMA Boxing Protector Head Guard
The guard is made using top quality leather Art which is very durable and won’t wear out easily. The inner layer has a thick foal that has IMT gel mixed with it for more shock absorption. It comes in five different colors and is unisex.
It has a pro-style design that makes it very classy to have on. It has a face grill for better protection of the cheeks and nose while not hindering visibility. This grill is made of tough plastic that has been wrapped with the leather making it safe to have on. It has adjustable straps to secure it in place and also make changes to its fitting.
- Comfortable fit
- Grill for more protection
- Leather shell
- Inner layer of foam infused with gel
- Good pricing
- Color variety
- Easy to clean
- Adjustable strap with hook
- Needs to order down. Big fitting.
- Needs more padding
- Made into Top Quality Leather Art with three layers of IMT Gel Integrated thick foam
- Using high quality removable grill for best full face protection
- The creative drawing used for developing ideal pro-style design
- ARD Head Guards can be used with & without face grill protection
- Ensures 100% perfect quality guaranteed!
7. SANJOIN Boxing Headgear
This is a product of the SANJOIN Company. It is made to fit both kids and adults because it has an adjustable fit. It’s made using synthetic leather that is durable and doesn’t wear out easily. It’s layered with double-layered foam for maximum protection.
It has check protection that also covers the jawline. It offers good facial protection as well as the rest of the head. It has straps for securing it in place plus a strap which prevents it from moving once secured.
- Fits both children and adults
- Has check protection
- Made of durable synthetic leather
- Has double layered foam
Better fit for teens than pre-teens
- Adjustable head guard fits for child and adult’s head
- SANJOIN promise 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee
- Double layer foam padding protect cheek , chin, back of head, temple, forehead well
- Synthetic leather is lightweight, soft and comfortable, also water and sweat resistant
- This headgear can clam down ur fears, and stay safe even if some lucky punch lands on ur face
8. Venum Challenger 2.0 Headgear
It is made using durable skintex leather that is very long-lasting. The inner padding contains foam that is triple-dense for maximum protection. It can take impact on whether sparring or competing. The closure is two way and is a Velcro design which means it’s easy to use.
It has cheek protection while still leaving room for visibility. It’s very light and easy to clean. It’s open at the ear and on top of the head for better air circulation. It’s vital to remain cool throughout. It comes in white and black and is advertised as one size fits all.
- Velcro closure system
- Durable leather exterior
- Triple dense inner foam
- Check protection
- Color variety
- Easy to clean
- Small for big head
- Ultra lightweight
- Triple density contoured foam
- Flexible two way Velcro closure
- Skintex leather construction
- One size fits all
9. Sanabul Essential Professional Headgear
This headgear is well designed to fit you well and add to your comfort too. It offers full face and head coverage for ample protection. It comes in two sizes of S/M and X/XL. It is black with 5 different shades for the logo. It has earhole and upper opening making it breathable. You need ample airflow to keep cool while wearing it.
The interior is non-slip making it fit well and remains intact. The outer shell is made using high-grade leather that lasts. The inner padding is of dense foam that takes great force. It is light and easy to clean.it has a hook and loop closure for a better fit.
- Comfortable fit
- Hook and loop closure system
- Leather exterior
- Dense foam interior
- Easy to clean
- Non-slip inner surface
- Can limit visibility
- Just What You Need: Sanabul Essentials checks all the boxes to get you started. Highly functional, form fitting, and a name recognized around the world. We make the key equipment with the best possible value for you
- Tested By Pro's, Created For You: We challenge our Team Sanabul athletes, like UFC Champion Michael Bisping, to put our gear through their toughest training sessions. We know it’ll hold up for you, because it holds up for them
- Ready For Any Sport: Essential Series Headgear provides full coverage of the face and is designed for use in any striking art from Kickboxing and MMA to Karate and Tae Kwon Do
- Full Coverage: Be fearless knowing your most vital areas are protected. Superb Impact-dura shock foam absorbs the punches and kicks so you can keep sparring. Full coverage of the head, cheeks, and chin
- The Perfect Fit: Other equipment can come loose from sweat and impact, blocking your vision and forcing you to stop and adjust. Our secure Hook and Loop Closure system locks into place, so you can focus on your game, not your gear. Size Guide: S/M - Head Circumference up to 22.25” L/XL - Head Circumference 22.25" and up
Proper protection is key to surviving in the world of combat sport. It’s so easy for one wrong blow or kicks to end your boxing or MMA days. Get yourself the best headgear for training or competing. Injuries can cost you more than just training time you can miss important matches too. This guide has some of the best MMA and Boxing Headgears that you cannot miss one that suits your needs.
The best headgears are light and made using durable material. They offer full coverage while not limiting visibility. They are breathable which is the important meaning they don’t limit airflow. They also have a good closure system that is adjustable too.